Americans Need a Raise
Mar 11, 2013Posted by Chuck Rocha
With an existing minimum wage of just $7.25 an hour, it has become increasingly difficult for the ordinary American to afford the cost of living. Americans are working longer hours, for less money, as inflation and the cost of living continues to rise. If minimum wage had kept up to pace with the inflation rate, minimum wage would be $10.52. Additionally, while minimum wage has stayed the same, the pay rate for a CEO has risen 725 percent over the past 30 years. These figures are alarming and it is evident that a change needs to be made.It is almost impossible for the working American to keep up with the rising cost of living on a full time salary of just $15,080 a year. Americans need an adequate wage that they can actually live on. Many people believe that Americans who earn minimum wage are young teenagers, when in actuality, people working low wage jobs are educated and much older than they were in past years. This issue affects a wide range of people.In order to have a stable and prosperous economy, Americans need to make a respectable wage for the work they are doing. After the 2008 recession, 120 percent of the economic gains from recovery have gone to business CEOs and the top 1 percent of America. However, the other 99 percent of Americans are still stuck in recession. The wealth of our country could be better distributed, and this starts by raising the minimum wage to be equivalent to the cost of living.Republicans in Congress are hesitant to increase minimum wage in fear that it will hurt small businesses. However, generally, it is the big corporations whose workers are getting paid such low wages. CEOs of some of these corporations continue to get pay raises and end of year bonuses while the workers that keep the company going are barely scraping by. We need to put more value on workers and pay them dependable wages. In return, businesses will get more qualified and professional employees that are willing to stick around.Senator Tom Harkin and Representative George Miller will put forth legislation to increase the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. Additionally, this legislation would change the law so minimum wage automatically adjusts to keep stride with the cost of living, and it would adjust the minimum wage for tipped workers, which has been stuck at $2.18 for over 21 years. This legislation would benefit the economy and improve the quality of living for American workers. It is important to support this legislation and bring back integrity to our economic system.If we truly want to get our economy back on it's feet for the working men and women of our country, Americans NEED a raise!The views expressed in this blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Center for National Policy.
|SUBSCRIBE TO THIS AUTHOR|
MORE FROM THIS AUTHOR
2015 Budget Effect for the Latino Community
Mar 11, 2014
What can the Affordable Care Act do for Latinos?
Feb 4, 2014
The American Worker's 2014 Agenda
Jan 7, 2014
Latino Buying Power
Dec 19, 2013
Courting the Latino Vote
Dec 2, 2013